why live in King?
Originally part of The village of Five Forks, so named because of the five roads that converged there, was a lively place beginning about 1871 when a post office was established there. Five Forks was on the stage coach road from Bethania to the Hollow Road at Trinity Church and northward. King would only have been a whistle stop on the railroad had it not been for the far sighted planning of the Spainhour, Grabs, Slate and a few other families. They built a depot and sold it to the railroad for $1.00. The railroad changed the name to King and the post office did the same in 1894.
The first school in town was established in 1896. When the County Board of Education granted the request of several citizens for a high school, local men gathered at the two room elementary school and jacked it up and built two rooms beneath it for King’s first high school.
King is a bustling small city today. We have shopping centers, churches of several denominations, a wide variety of manufacturing facilities, a library, an American Legion Post and county fairground, a new YMCA, several business parks, numerous restaurants, a police department, a fire department, a large recreation center, two medical centers, and just about every establishment that makes for a great place to live.